[SLUG] External hard disc cradle

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 12:26:56 UTC 2010

Hi ppl

The motherboard of my main machine fell apart the other day and I haven't
the time or inclination to fix it .. I rather like the idea that
everything's online all I need is an Internet connection. It's not true
though, and I'd like quickly to get access to the HD on that machine.

So I'm looking at
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226653&C=SO&U=strat15 as a
possible. It's a SATA disc, that much I know, but truly I'm not hardware
minded. I did build the machine tho.

Anyway, the machine was running I hope a single volume ext3 setup.

So what are your thoughts about whether that Maplin thing will read the disc?

I'm thinking there must be some s/w & electronics in the cradle, and maybe
it will only read Windows hard disc formats or something.

What are your thoughts?

PS. I was planning on setting the disc jumpers to read only before
plugging it in.