[SLUG] External hard disc cradle

Ross Kendall ross at rosskendall.com
Tue Sep 14 12:54:42 UTC 2010

Hi John,

The Maplin SATA USB dock looks fine to me. The fact that it mentions Mac
and Windows compatibility is a good sign. Generally this kind of thing
would be supported by generic USB Mass Storage Device drivers, although
there might be the occasional device that uses special drivers for extra
features.

The format of the drive should be transparent, so being able to read an
EXT3 partition will depend on the operating system of the computer you
connect it to (so you will be able to read it from Linux and Mac OS X but
not from Windows without special drivers for EXT3)

Cheers,
Ross.

P.S. I didn't know hard drives these days still had jumpers on them.

--
Ross Kendall
Web Developer and Consultant