[SLUG] External hard disc cradle

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 10:36:25 UTC 2010

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:26:44 -0400, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>> I'm looking at
>> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226653&C=SO&U=strat15 as a
>> possible way to read a Linux drive (from a failed Linux m/c) from my
Mac computer

> Hi John,
>
> The Maplin SATA USB dock looks fine to me.

> Ross.
>
> P.S. I didn't know hard drives these days still had jumpers on them

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it didn't work. There are three drives in the old
machine, two connected and one not (that's the biggest, so I'm thinking it
was never used).

All three, plugged into the external cradle, trigger the same message on
my MacBook "The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer:
initialize, ignore, eject". I didn't press initialize.

The cradle came with some drivers but for OS 9.0+ it says I don't need any.

Is there anything I need to try before I dismiss this line of enquiry?

Cheers