[SLUG] External hard disc cradle

Ross Kendall ross at rosskendall.com
Mon Sep 20 11:31:23 UTC 2010

On 20/09/10 11:36, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>>> I'm looking at
>>> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226653&C=SO&U=strat15 as a
>>> possible way to read a Linux drive (from a failed Linux m/c) from my
>>> Mac computer
>>>
> Perhaps unsurprisingly, it didn't work. There are three drives in the old
> machine, two connected and one not (that's the biggest, so I'm thinking it
> was never used).
>
> All three, plugged into the external cradle, trigger the same message on
> my MacBook "The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer:
> initialize, ignore, eject". I didn't press initialize.

The fact that it is recognising a disk says that it is working! The
problem is that Mac OSX can't read EXT3 natively (sorry, I gave wrong
info on that).
> The cradle came with some drivers but for OS 9.0+ it says I don't need any.

Correct
> Is there anything I need to try before I dismiss this line of enquiry?

Try the MacFuse filesystem drivers to access the EXT3 partition
http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/  (generic filesystem interface)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-ext2/  (specific driver for ext2/ext3)

Instructions here:
http://ekettoz.blogspot.com/2009/06/mounting-linux-ext2ext3-partitions.html

Here is another approach using Virtualbox
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/mac-os-x-read-ext3-ext4-external-usb-hard-disk-partition/

Cheers,
Ross.