[SLUG] resizing jpegs

Ross Kendall ross at rosskendall.com
Wed Jan 19 17:36:34 UTC 2011

Hi Martin,

Not directly answering your question, which Andy already has, apart from
to mention there is a plugin for the Gimp -
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html

If you are considering using a website content management system like
Drupal (http://drupal.org/), it can look after resizing images for you.
It is possible to configure Drupal so that you can upload hi-res images
and it will resize them to appropriate sizes depending upon the page or
context. (Sometimes you might want to reduce them a bit first to save
upload time and web server disk space, especially if they are very hi-res.)

This website I built with Drupal which provides an example of what it
can do: http://www.cultureandwellbeing.org.uk/ (running on a Linux
server of course!)

Also, there are website image gallery systems (such as Gallery
http://gallery.menalto.com/ ) which do dynamic resizing using
ImageMagick or GD libraries.

Cheers,
Ross.