[sclug] Gentoo

Scott RIxon scott at green-flag.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:29 UTC 2003

Hi all.....

Has anyone here tried Gentoo Linux? You have to build everything from
source and download it as you go!

It has taken me 2 weeks to get something of a working system but I am
quite impressed! I am also using fluxbox as a window manager, it's quite
nice! Easy to use, easy to configure and nice and quick!

Portage is the package manager and it's quite impressive! It maintains a
list of all the software on the Gentoo mirrors and then you can download
and compile programs as you go.

I am still finding my feet in Linux so it was nice to do something a bit
more from scratch. I had to edit quite a few files manually so you get a
better idea of what is going on.

I was going to try RedHat 8 but I think I will stay with this for now!

Scott