[sclug] MOzilla and mail

John Dickson johnd at cavcomp.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:31 UTC 2003

13/01/2003 09:11:04, Bernd Becker
<bernd.becker at metoffice.com> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I am wondering, why is Mozilla in SUSE 8.1 comming
without the mail
>(messanger ) tool?
>There is the browser and the editor.

[snip stuff about Galeon, Konqueror]

>I downloaded  Netscape (the latest 16.2 Mb)

[snip]
>What would YOU expect from an out of the box
Installation?
>SHould this not all be there per se?

The Mozilla project team is constantly re-iterating
that Mozilla was never intended as a full featured
"out-of the box" browser with all the usual
accoutrements such as mail readers etc. The Mozilla
project was explicitly set up to develop a set of
open-source core technologies which could be used,
and extended, by others to build the sort of
platform-independent Internet Explorer look-alike
which everyone was asking for.  This was why they
were, and still are, funded by AOL when they bought
out the browser side of Netscape Corp.

The versions of Netscape built on top of Mozilla
releases are put together by AOL with the specific
intention of
a) Getting AOL off their dependency on Internet
Explorer on Windoze platforms
b) Locking in their installed base of naive home
users within their proprietary commercial
information system. As such they have been very
clunky and not of great use to anyone else.

If you want a good fully functioning browser within
many extra features including a very adequate mail
client then use Opera ( http://www.opera.com )

This is effectively platform independent as there
are versions for Linux and most other versions of
UNIX, and all the extant flavours of Windoze and
MacOS . It has a pretty small footprint, is fast,
and is highly standards compliant( including
validating and rendering XML files directly.

There is a free version which AFAIK is also included
in the Suse8.1 distribution.  It is supported by
banner ads which are pretty easy to ignore, or you
can pay $19 to switch them off.  This is hardly
going to break the bank, and is very good value for
money considering the amount of development effort
that has gone into it.

We have been using Opera for two years now and I
would never want to go back to anything else.

John Dickson  johnd at cavcomp.co.uk

Caversham Computer Services Ltd
1A Kidmore Road
Caversham
Reading
RG4 7LR

Tel: +44 (0)118 954 3166  Fax: +44 (0)118 954 3199
http://www.cavcomp.co.uk/