[sclug] Distributed computing

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

Tony -

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Tony Sumner wrote:

> I am trying to sign up to a worthy distributed computing group that
> is working on how to fold proteins. Everyone else has got the program
> running except me. The whole story is a bit involved but I'd like to
> start by asking a narrow specific question. What happens is that I
> can send stuff to their server but I can't get anything back. Some
> packets arrive back but they seem to vanish. The log says that the
> source port is 80 and the destination port is 1026. My question is:
> should I have an entry in /etc/services referring to port 1026?
>
> [Yes I am running iptables but typing 'service iptables stop' doesn't
> change anything so I think (?) iptables is not the cause]

Let's keep iptables out of it for the time being, until we've worked out
what is happening.

Grab a copy of Ethereal <http://www.ethereal.com>, take a capture of the
network traffic that happens when you attempt to use the D/C client and put
it online somewhere. We can then see what's happening.

> Tony Sumner

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher        Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                        Need reliable and secure network systems?