[sclug] Distributed computing

Greg-e gmills at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

Hello Tony, (Forgot to add the sclug bit! - so this'll be a second
copy from your POV)

Saturday, January 18, 2003, 11:04:00 AM, you wrote:

> I am trying to sign up to a worthy distributed computing group that
> is working on how to fold proteins. Everyone else has got the program
> running except me. The whole story is a bit involved but I'd like to
> start by asking a narrow specific question. What happens is that I
> can send stuff to their server but I can't get anything back. Some
> packets arrive back but they seem to vanish. The log says that the
> source port is 80 and the destination port is 1026. My question is:
> should I have an entry in /etc/services referring to port 1026?

> [Yes I am running iptables but typing 'service iptables stop' doesn't
> change anything so I think (?) iptables is not the cause]

> Tony Sumner

Doesn't the 1026 port refer to a port that is randomly assigned by the
OS. It is this (randomly assigned) port that connects to the known
port (80) on the server.

I'm probably wrong... but please forgive me as this is (almost) my
first post!

Greg