[sclug] RTL8201 (Sis961) problem

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

At Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:21:21 -0000,
Pieter Claassen wrote:

> 1. The card is an onboard  SiS961 that looks like or uses (I don't
> understand if it is a SiS chip or RTL) RTL8201.

No idea if this is related, but I had some motherboards that I was
testing recently with SiS900 based on-board NIC, and with the sis900.o
driver I found that it seemed to be dropping interrupts.  The most
obvious symptom being that ping would see no return packets for about
5 seconds and then show a flurry of round trip times of about
10,9,8,7 & 6 seconds, then get five seconds of sensible RTTs, then
lock up again, and so on.

You might want to try the sis900 driver instead of the RTL8201 one.
You also might want to check more recent kernel changelogs --- I seem
to remember something about SiS chipset NICs being mentioned in the
2.4.20 or 2.4.19 changelog.

Cheers, Phil.