[sclug] SiS onboard LAN troubles

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, James Fidell wrote:

> As luck would have it, I built a new desktop box for myself last night,
> based around a P4 motherboard with a SiS 900 on-board LAN device.
>
> It's enabled in the BIOS, but win98 (which I install so I can use it
> from VMware) couldn't see it at all, even after I'd installed the drivers
> that came with the motherboard.
>
> RH8.0 kind of knows the card's there (it asked for network config. and
> put the relevant bits in /etc/modules.conf at install time), but now
> staunchly refuses to do anything with it when the driver's loaded.
> Kudzu knows it's there though.
>
> Most odd.

That's a shame. Presumably the interface doesn't show up in 'ifconfig -a'?

What module does kudzu think it should be using? Does the module have any
parameters (modinfo -p foo.o)?

> Anyway, to save a lot of messing about, I fixed the problem by turning
> it off in the BIOS and sticking in a 3c905C that I had sitting around.

Sometimes that's the easiest thing to do, isn't it?! ;-)

On a related note, I've been using a couple of machines I've built using
GigaByte GA-8PE667 Ultra <http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/8pe667ultra.htm>
motherboards. It uses the i845PE chipset which allows use of DDR333/PC2700
memory and P4s upto 3GHz. It also has built-in Promise PDC20276 IDE "RAID"
(the RAID is done in software, just like Linux md, so it's really just two
extra IDE channels on a single IRQ), Realtek ALC650 5.1 sound (supported by
RH8.0, though I'm not whether anything more than stereo is supported), and
Intel Pro100/VE ethernet. Unfortunately, the kernel supplied with Debian
3.0r0 doesn't support this variant of the ethernet chipset, though RH8.0
does.

> James

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher        Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                        Need reliable and secure network systems?