[sclug] SiS onboard LAN troubles

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

At Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:29:39 +0000 (GMT),
Alex Butcher (lug) wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, James Fidell wrote:
>

> Intel Pro100/VE ethernet. Unfortunately, the kernel supplied with Debian
> 3.0r0 doesn't support this variant of the ethernet chipset, though RH8.0
> does.

Have you tried the "bf24" kernel?

If at the CD boot: prompt you type bf24<RET> (this is documented on
the <F2> help screen IIRC) you get the 2.4 kernel at install time
instead, which had a different bunch of drivers available.  You can
get the same end result by installing the

  kernel-image-2.4.<mumble>-bf24<mumble>.deb

package, after installation, although you'll then have to sort out
/etc/network/interfaces and /etc/modules by hand, since it won't have
asked you about network setup at install time.  I find
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz is a good place
to start with that.

Cheers, Phil.