[sclug] SiS onboard LAN troubles

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Philip Hands wrote:

> At Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:29:39 +0000 (GMT),
> Alex Butcher (lug) wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, James Fidell wrote:
> >

> > Intel Pro100/VE ethernet. Unfortunately, the kernel supplied with Debian
> > 3.0r0 doesn't support this variant of the ethernet chipset, though RH8.0
> > does.
>
> Have you tried the "bf24" kernel?

Yup, that was the kernel I was using. I think the /VE variant is a CNR
(rather than PCI) device. I've now got a couple of plain PCI Pro100s, so at
some point I'll probably re-install Debian and see if one of the updated
Debian kernels (downloaded via a non-VE interface!) detects the /VE.

FYI, RH8.0 uses Intel's e100.o (v 2.1.6) from recent errata kernels (BSD/GPL
licensed), and eepro100.o included in the release kernel.

> Cheers, Phil.

Cheers,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher        Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                        Need reliable and secure network systems?