[sclug] Nice board to use with Linux

J. Mann jon at spinis-associates.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:33 UTC 2003

> The board  is an Elite L4S5MG/GL with a SiS 650 north bridge chip. The
> network card goes with the sis900 driver and the sound card goes with
> the i810 driver (don't expect too much).

The company I work for ships "Elite P4S5A/DX+" boards with many of our
systems. They seem quite reasonable value.

I haven't tested their Linux support, since none of our clients require it.
Unfortunately, our clients *never* require Linux :/

Still, it is nice to hear you've had some success.

> Last questions:
> 1. My tooltips are not working on the KDE no matter that I specifically
> activated them (normal) in the control panel. Any ideas? Version
> 2.2.2-14

I have never encountered this, although I suggest you upgrade to the
recently released KDE 3.1.

A quick test of KDE 3.0.1 (I am compiling 3.1 now :-) reveals the
following seems to work:

Control Panel => Style => Miscellaneous => Enable Tooltips

> 2. The current build is from the unstable tree. This might be a little
> bid edgy. If I want to move the build back to lets say "testing", can I
> do this with dselect (without it de- and reinstalling my whole binary
> tree)?

I guess you are talking about Debian.

I never liked dselect, so I never got to know it that well.

I do remember being able to move between Stable/Testing/Unstable
by editing sources.conf (/etc/apt/) to point to the desired tree, and then:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

This will reinstall the system with the desired "binary tree".

Regards,
Jon