[sclug] Problem with USB wireless adaptor

Pieter Claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:33 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have a funny problem with a USB wireless adapter and a few questions:

Setup:
system: debian mixed stable and testing
pre-compiled kernel 2.4.20-5
linux-wlan-modules-2.4.20
hotpluggin un-installed
card: actiontec usb adapter

Problem:
When I shut the machine down, I get a crash. This happens if I if-down the
wlan interface and it unloads the kernel modules correctly, or when the
interface is up and I shut the machine down.
Previously, I though the problem was with hot plugging, as the crash was in
hotplug, but I removed it and now the process that creates the crash is
swapper.
Also, initially when I unplugged the usb card (actiontec with prism2_usb
driver) the machine crashed, but I find that if I if-down wlan0 the card
(after fixing the bug in /etc/network/if-post-down.d/linux-wlan-ng-post-down
that tried to unload the prism2_pci driver) then it unloads the prism2_usb
and the 80211 kernel modules and I can plug the card out.

So, here are my questions:
1. I don't want to recompile the kernel because this has to be a standard
install that I can support remotely and I can see chaos if I have to compile
kernels for individual  machines.
2. How do I see what the problem is (who do I contact about this)?
3. I would gladly consider going back a number of kernel releases, but there
are no released wlan-modules for earlier kernels and if I want to compile
them myself, then I need to compile my own kernel again.
4. Is there a way to see what a precompiled kernels configuration is?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Pieter
-----------------------------
Pieter Claassen
pieter at openauth.co.uk
http://www.openauth.co.uk

OpenAuth
Tel: 01344 390530
DDI: 01344 390630/390631
Fax number: 01344 390700
Mobile:  0776 665 6924

Highview House
Charles Square
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 1DF

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
(i)The information contained in this email and attachments is only intended
for the addressed recipient(s) and may not be distributed or viewed by any
other party without the explicit consent of the sender. If you have received
this message by accident, please contact Pieter Claassen
(pieter at openauth.co.uk) and destroy any electronic or physical copies of the
information contained in it, immediately.
(ii)This email is not certified to be virus free and OpenAuth accepts no
liability for losses arising from you receiving this email.
(iii)Any digital signatures (if present) used to authenticate this email,
only serves to allow you to verify the originating email address of the
sender and should not be relied upon to prove identity or base financial
transactions on, unless the Certificate Practice Statement that the
signature references, explicitly states differently.
(iv)This email may be subjected to further terms and conditions as published
on the company website at http://www.openauth.co.uk. If you need to rely on
the information contained in this email in any way, then you should read
those terms and conditions to understand how much you can trust the
information in this email.
(v)OpenAuth retains the copyright on any relevant material that is included
in this email.