[sclug] (no subject)

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:34 UTC 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Chirstopher West wrote:

> I'm looking for a system that will allow a private network (192.168.*.*)to
> use an adsl link with a single dial up IP address.
> I was going on the lines of using an old linux box as a firewall and
> masquerading, but i have come up against a few problems;
> 1) Adsl cards for linux seem impossible to install
> 2) And are too expensive

Er, if you *are* using dial-up, you don't need an ADSL card, you need a good
old-fashioned analogue modem. These days, going with an external serial
device is safest, as lots of PCI and USB devices are software modems.

If you're after a cheap ADSL card, the the AMX-CA83P
<http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info.asp?quicklinx=14XK>
(29.37+VAT=34.50) seems to be the favourite, using the drivers found at
<http://www.themad-house.co.uk/Conexant/conexant-drivers.html>.

I use a router myself, so I haven't tried this. In theory, though, you could
use these drivers to build a Linux-based ethernet/ADSL router/firewall
including support for H.323, Quake, PPTP, IRC and all the other strange
protocols out there.

> 3) I don't know if an external adsl-router enables you to do what i want
> so if anyone could help i would be very grateful,

As another poster said, you're after a router with at least PPPoA and NAT
functionality. Most do these days, even the cheapest ones.

> thanks
> chris

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher        Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                        Need reliable and secure network systems?