[sclug] Linux Virus and Spam control

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:35 UTC 2003

J. Mann wrote:

> Many projects are being deveIoped around this idea. Mozilla 1.3 includes
> bayesian filtering.

I've recently started using this myself, as a second line of defense.
(The first line of defense is that my mail server uses a selection of
the standard DNS-based blocklists; this culls out about 90% of the spam
load before it gets to my desktop, and means that said spam doesn't clog
up my local bandwidth :-).

At the moment it's not doing very well - it seems to filter more legit
mails than spams! Probably it just needs a bit more training (bayesian
filters learn from any mistakes which you tell them about). Certainly
you need to keep a close eye on your trash folder when you first start
using it.

Will.