[sclug] Debian wireless/pcmcia/usb/ 2.4.20 all at the same time question

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:35 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:38:53PM +0000, pieter claassen wrote:
> This whole thing can be made to work by recompiling a custom kernel
> and then compiling the wlan-modules, pcmcia and alsa for that kernel,
> but that is a lot of work, especially considering that the stock
> kernel already has everything compiled in as modules that is needed.

Fair enough.

> I downloaded the kernel-headers file for the 2.4.20 kernel with the
> understanding the it will contain the .configure and the needed headers
> files that will allow me to compile the other packages needed against
> it, but I found that :
> 1. There is no .configure file (there seems to be no way to find out
> what was compiled into the standard binary kernels)

Binary kernels install /boot/config-<kernelversion> with the config in
it.

There is no .configure file because that's not used in the kernel build
process.  You mean .config.

> 2. I linked the kernel-headers symbolically to /usr/src/linux and
> tried to compile other packages, but nothing worked. I know that
> debian has a standard way of dealing with module code in make-dpkg but
> how does one work with the kernel-headers and specific packages?

Hmm, shouldn't kernel headers be pointed to from /lib/modules/<kernel
version>/build symlink?

I'm sure you can specify where they are in any case but this will vary
depending on what you're compiling.  It's probably in the makefile
though.  I wouldn't link /usr/src/linux to them though.

> 3. Does anybody know who the right person is to contact regarding the
> debian wlan-ng packages (Joey Hess?) There seems to be significant
> changes in how the software integrates with Debian.

Well he's the maintainer so that seems like a plan.  (Otherwise you
could always file a bug)

[wow, huge disclaimer]

Simon.

--
Just another wannabie |   After a number of decimal    |  Just another fool