[sclug] Debian wireless/pcmcia/usb/ 2.4.20 all at the same time question

pieter claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:35 UTC 2003

Hello All,

For a while now, I have managed to get around setting up systems with
standard debian binary kernel releases.

However, the package releases for binary apps for certain kernel
dependent code is now making it impossible to get more than one
subsystem (either USB, PCMCIA, Wireless etc.) running at once.

I know there are some real Debian boffs on this mailing list, so I would
appreciate your help greatly here.

At the moment, this is the setup:
1. Kernel-image 2.4.20-686
2. linux-wlan-ng 2.4.20-686 (both apps and modules)
3. kernel-pcmcia 2.4.20-686
4. But, there is only a pcmcia-modules for 2.4.20-bf2.4

There is no way to downgrade to the 2.4.1* kernels because pcmcia works
but there are no binary modules for wlan-ng. There is also an issue with
Alsa modules.

Ok, now here is the question.

This whole thing can be made to work by recompiling a custom kernel and
then compiling the wlan-modules, pcmcia and alsa for that kernel, but
that is a lot of work, especially considering that the stock kernel
already has everything compiled in as modules that is needed.

I downloaded the kernel-headers file for the 2.4.20 kernel with the
understanding the it will contain the .configure and the needed headers
files that will allow me to compile the other packages needed against
it, but I found that :
1. There is no .configure file (there seems to be no way to find out
what was compiled into the standard binary kernels)
2. I linked the kernel-headers symbolically to /usr/src/linux and tried
to compile other packages, but nothing worked. I know that debian has a
standard way of dealing with module code in make-dpkg but how does one
work with the kernel-headers and specific packages?

Could anybody please let me know how to:
1. Use the kernel headers to compile kernel dependent code for a binary
kernel image?
2. If that is the wrong question (i.e. cannot be done), then how to
resolve the issue of binary code release for different releases of the
kernel which makes it very difficult to get all subsystems to work
together. How does the debian package maintainers do this for things
like wlan-ng?
3. Does anybody know who the right person is to contact regarding the
debian wlan-ng packages (Joey Hess?) There seems to be significant
changes in how the software integrates with Debian.

All help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Pieter
--
-----------------------------
Pieter Claassen
pieter at openauth.co.uk
http://www.openauth.co.uk

OpenAuth
Tel: 01344 390530
DDI: 01344 390630/390631
Fax number: 01344 390700
Mobile:  0776 665 6924

Highview House
Charles Square
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 1DF

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
(i)The information contained in this email and attachments is only
intended for the addressed recipient(s) and may not be distributed or
viewed by any other party without the explicit consent of the sender. If
you have received this message by accident, please contact Pieter
Claassen (pieter at openauth.co.uk) and destroy any electronic or physical
copies of the information contained in it, immediately.
(ii)This email is not certified to be virus free and OpenAuth accepts no
liability for losses arising from you receiving this email.
(iii)Any digital signatures (if present) used to authenticate this
email, only serves to allow you to verify the originating email address
of the sender and should not be relied upon to prove identity or base
financial transactions on, unless the Certificate Practice Statement
that the signature references, explicitly states differently.
(iv)This email may be subjected to further terms and conditions as
published on the company website at http://www.openauth.co.uk. If you
need to rely on the information contained in this email in any way, then
you should read those terms and conditions to understand how much you
can trust the information in this email.
(v)OpenAuth retains the copyright on any relevant material that is
included in this email.