[sclug] Software on a remote box

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:35 UTC 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Scott Rixon wrote:

> Strange question this.....
>
> I have 2 main Linux boxes.. One with a CD burner and one without... What
> I want to do is from one machine (which has a keyboard/mouse/monitor)
> set off a CD burn on the other machine.... Which I can do via an
> exported display through ssh (using gnome toaster)..
>
> Here is the catch.. I want to be able to shutdown the first machine
> while the CD is burning.. This also goes for other things, kernel
> compiles etc.... The other machine stays on 24x7 so I want to kick it
> off doing things over night. The other machine needs to be switched
> off....
>
> I'm sure there must be a way of doing this...... I have looked at VNC
> but wasn't very impressed... The screen redraw is so bad compared with
> exporting a display.

X is stateful, so I think you'll be resigned to either using VNC, or running
cdrecord from the command line under 'screen' (which allows disconnection
and later reconnection).

> Thanks,
> Scott

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher        Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                        Need reliable and secure network systems?