[sclug] Software on a remote box

Scott Rixon scott at green-flag.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:35 UTC 2003

Hi all....

I think I have sorted my permissions issue.. I also now have borrowed a
nice box on permissions... Fun read!!

Strange question this.....

I have 2 main Linux boxes.. One with a CD burner and one without... What
I want to do is from one machine (which has a keyboard/mouse/monitor)
set off a CD burn on the other machine.... Which I can do via an
exported display through ssh (using gnome toaster)..

Here is the catch.. I want to be able to shutdown the first machine
while the CD is burning.. This also goes for other things, kernel
compiles etc.... The other machine stays on 24x7 so I want to kick it
off doing things over night. The other machine needs to be switched
off....

I'm sure there must be a way of doing this...... I have looked at VNC
but wasn't very impressed... The screen redraw is so bad compared with
exporting a display.

Thanks,

Scott