[sclug] Email forwarding

J. Mann jon at spinis-associates.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:36 UTC 2003

On Sunday 27 April 2003 6:45 pm, H/J Wyper wrote:
> What I'd like to do is have GARAGE retrieve the email from the ISP

Investigate Fetchmail:

http://catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/

> store a copy (for backup)

Investigate Procmail:

http://www.procmail.org/

> then forward copies to both DESKTOP and LAPTOP,

I would suggest running an IMAP server on GARAGE.
DESKTOP and LAPTOP can access their email from that.

> And of course I'd like the reverse to work for sending emails too.

Configure both DESKTOP and LAPTOP to use smtp.ntlworld.com directly.

However, if you really want outgoing mail to pass through GARAGE, have it run
a SMTP server.

> If I can get the system to filter out some of the spam I'm getting that
> would be a bonus.

Investigate SpamAssassin:

http://spamassassin.org/

Regards,