[sclug] Email forwarding

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:36 UTC 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, H/J Wyper wrote:

> Hello there everyone.
>
> I have three computers at home:  GARAGE is running linux, always on, and
> connected to the internet via NTL broadband.  The other two machines,
> DESKTOP and LAPTOP are networked to it

[snip]

> What I'd like to do is have GARAGE retrieve the email from the ISP, store a
> copy (for backup) then forward copies to both DESKTOP and LAPTOP, so that I
> can be sure of not missing an email no matter what machine I'm using.  And
> of course I'd like the reverse to work for sending emails too.

You probably want to look at setting up an IMAP server on GARAGE, and IMAP
mail clients on DESKTOP and LAPTOP. GARAGE won't copy and forward messages
to those two machines, but your mailbox will be readable from both, and
state will be maintained. You can also configure (most) IMAP clients to save
sent messages to a file on the IMAP server, providing the solution to the
second part of your query.

>  If I can get  the system to filter out some of the spam I'm getting that
>  would be a bonus.

SpamAssassin is probably the way to go here, though I've done naff all with
it.

> James.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher        Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                        Need reliable and secure network systems?