[sclug] Poll: What languages are people using

Paul Vanlint paul at polyzing.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:37 UTC 2003

> Primarily C++ with some Perl and Bash scripting currently. But in the past
> I've done C, multitudinous microcomputer Basics, various assemblers (Z80
> [I've still got my Zaks book on it somewhere], M680x0, x86, MACRO-11 - I
> think that's it), Fortran, Pascal, Forth, Java, both the Digital and
> Sybase versions of SQL, REXX. I've got a couple of books on Python, but
> haven't done anything with it yet.

I am in the same boat with Python. I bought the book because I was
working on some SQL code being used by a Python program, so I felt I out
to understand what the Pytho programming was doing, but I managed to
understand it without really digging into Python.

I would like to learn more about it, but don't have a project to inspire
me.

> I used to be a bit of a language junkie years ago, and had all sorts of
> odd languages scattered around on floppies for my AtariST, but the only
> one I can remember the name of now is Icon, which was based on SNOBOL
> IIRC, although I don't remember much about it other than that. Oh, I think
> I had a version of Prolog as well, but could never get it to run properly.

If you want to try a pointless language which is kind of fun trying to
do anything in, look at bf.

Warning: If swearing offends you, don't follow this link.

http://home.wxs.nl/~faase009/Ha_BF.html