[sclug] Poll: What languages are people using

Paul Vanlint paul at polyzing.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:37 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 19:31, Tim Sutton wrote:
> I started by learning z80 on my ZX Spectrum (cant remember a jot of it
> though). I know a passable amount of Avenue (for ArcView GIS - pretty much
> defunct now), vb (yuk), php + html + css + dom/js, java and am busy teaching
> myself c++ and qt. I dont consider myself a programming expert, but I really
> want to get to know C++ & QT because I want to start contributing something
> back to my favourite desktop environment. I also fart around with
> bash/awk/sed when the need arises.

Ah, ZX Spectrum. That was the machine I first owned too. Wow, when I
started Z80 programming, it was actually done using Machine code, not
even assembly mnemonics, then I got some tools. :)

> I will no doubt be firing the odd C++/STL question to the list as I go through
> the learning curve of where all those & and * belong :-) so thanks in
> advance.

Once you have learnt some basic C++, I recommend you read "Effective
C++" and "More Effective C++". Similarly, once you are familiar with the
basics of STL, I recommend you read "Effective STL". All these books are
by "Scott Meyers" and he has a great knack of cutting through the crap
and giving very useful tips.

Paul.