[sclug] Follow up to last nights meet :14/5/03

Leon Ward leon.ward at added-dimension.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:39 UTC 2003

Hello all,
	Have a hangover today, again... pah!

So, here are links to the crap that was being discussed last night.

Local root ptrace sploit:
http://packetstormsecurity.nl/0304-exploits/ptrace-kmod.c
Remote root samba sploit:
http://packetstormsecurity.nl/0304-exploits/0x333hate.c

One for the chat bot: googleism.com below is a sample search for who is bob,
imagine random answers taken from the list returned....
http://www.googlism.com/index.htm?ism=bob&type=1

The whole OneandOne DNS Problem,
This is quite a long one, but it should make a few of you smile.
I have to take my hat off to Iain for putting up with these lame support
monkeys, I would have given up much earlier.

For those who dont know the story, when ordering a dedicated server from
one&one we did not have an option to use an existing domain name for the
reverse dns ptr. we were forced to order a new domain, hence the
"stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk"

	o mail 1 Iain --> support

Hi there,

I'm renting "stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk" and i'd like to request the
changing of the reverse dns to PTR at box3.coagulate.net.

Please perform these changes or advise me of the steps I must take to get
this change actioned.

Thanks in advance,

Iain

	o mail 2 Iain --> support

I think you have missed the point here.  I do not desire any changes
regarding an existing domain, there are only 2 domains involved here,
stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk which you can do whatever you like to in
order to fulfil my requests (this domain only exists because of, well,
your stupid order form requiring me to rent a domain name when all i
actually wanted was to rent a server) and your reverse zone.  The forward
for coagulate.net is outside your scope.

So, i'll explain again eh?

I rent a dedicated server off you.
It has IP address 217.160.178.205.
Our intention is/was/always has been to name it box3.coagulate.net.  A la:
[root at laptop root]# host box3.coagulate.net
box3.coagulate.net has address 217.160.178.205

However, your order form required a new domain registration to actually
rent a server (presumably for no better reason than a bit of free
profiteering on the side - know anyone who wants to buy a stupid domain
name off me? i've no use for it thats for sure).  So i could not, at the
time of rental, request the REVERSE DNS be set up correctly for this IP
address.

Please find the DNS ZONE 178.160.217.IN-ADDR.ARPA, which you have at least
some control over, and alter the line resolving this PTR to
stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk and instead resolve it to box3.coagulate.net

i.e.

Rather than the current:
[root at laptop root]# host 217.160.178.205
205.178.160.217.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk.

please replace it with
[root at laptop root]# host 217.160.178.205
205.178.160.217.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer box3.coagulate.net.

Got it?

Your advice below suggests i move the zone i'm having issues with, i'm not
sure you'll let me relocate your in-addr.arpa zone, although i'm happy to
rehost it for you at a charge.

Also cancelling the package and re-ordering...  Doh...

You've sent me your auto-spammer for "I want to do something insane/rehost
my DNS" where as you should have sent me a "reverse dns alteration for
root server I package" spam (or at least an "we are confused!" spam).

So, now i've explained some DNS basics, please re-read this request, and
the attached one at the bottom, and let me know how to proceed with my
request.

Hoping things will become swifter from here on in...

Thanks,
Iain

PS: on a more amusing note, either my terminal is broken, or your word
"Mar" in the second line of your post seems to contain a foreign character
rather than a "a".
> Dear Sir
>
> Thank you very much for your mail dated M?r 31, 2003
>
> Unfortunately is not possible to change DNS or MX records on a domain
hosted with u
> s. If it is essential that you do this, your only option is to cancel the
domain an
> d/or package that you have with us and move it to another provider.
>
> To cancel a domain name from your account either to remove it or to
> transfer is to another registrar then you can do this by logging into
> your account at the following location :
>         http://contract.oneandone.co.uk
>
> >From here you can also cancel your package.
>
> If you would like the DNS changed for any of your domains as a
> temporary measure until a full transfer of registrar has completed
> then please send an email to transfer at oneandone.co.uk with the domains
> to change and the DNS information. This is possible for the following :
>         .com    .net    .org    .biz    .info
>
> For .uk domains you are able to change the IPS tag of the domain name
> using the online system and the new registrar will then change the DNS
> for you.
>
> Cancelling a domain name means that we will not renew the domain name
> and as such you need to perform a transfer of registrar before the
> expiry date or you will loose the domain name.
>
> We do NOT renew a domain name after it is cancelled / dns change and as
> such you WILL LOOSE the domain name unless you transfer to another
> registrar before the EXPIRY date.
>

> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm renting "stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk" and i'd like to request the
> > changing of the reverse dns to PTR at box3.coagulate.net.
> >
> > Please perform these changes or advise me of the steps I must take to
get
> > this change actioned.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Iain

	o mail 3 Iain --> support

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, 1and1, BhNa wrote:

> Dear Sir
>
> Thank you very much for your mail dated M?r 31, 2003

Yet again your Mar appears to be containing a random foreign character.

> We understood what you were saying the first time round. Thankyou for
> your entertaining email on DNS basics, nice to read on a Monday
> afternoon ....

I'm glad you found it amusing, as you can guess it was a rather irate mail

> The basic fact is that we cannot and will not change the reverse DNS for
> the IP, you need to continue using stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk.

OK. So we've come to an agreement that we at least both understand DNS
basics.  So "will not" i can understand, customer service will nowadays
generally not "think outside the box" (as management BS calls it) to help
customers, i.e. you dont normally do this so why bother just to please one
poor sap who already pays you money.

Its "can not" i dont understand.  I suspect you might be misusing english
here, will not and can not being very different things.  You successfully
set up the original rev ptr to stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk there for why
you would suddenly be unable to change this (*can* not) is unknown to me
as it is not something DNS normally prohibits.

So do you just mean "we will not because we cant be bothered" (or do you
have some brilliant internal policy/reason? like
stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk is your primary DB key or something and ur
software cant cope with it being changed) or do you really mean that you
cant do this.

> If this is 'unacceptable' then the only thing we can suggest is that you
> cancel your server package with us and go elsewhere.

I have passed your information on to the user base that indicated having
this reverse dns would be a problem.  As i stated above, given my
knowledge of DNS i could not see any reason why this could not have been
changed at a later date, obstructional customer services aside.

> We do hope this information has helped you understand the situation
........have a great day.

The problem with all this is... My zone, coagulate.net, is used to host a
variety of servers, all under an existing domain.  There was box, there is
box2 and this is box3.  Your order form can *NOT* allow me to register a
server under an existing domain name, and having the host think its a
forward but be a different reverse lookup is a bad idea generally.  In
fact your order form requires i register a stupid new unwanted domain,
hence the name.

So, through your packages, which seem to offer the full range of desirable
services one would expect from a root server package, you are actually
lacking the ability to register a server with a reverse under an existing
domain...?

In fact the question "can i change my rev dns" did pop into my mind during
registration, but i presumed it would either be a 'yes' or a 'can not'
type response rather than a 'will not', although this all depends on you
clarifying your statement above.

Looking for loopholes here, is it possible to cancel my dns zone but keep
the root server? or have you cleverly tied the two together permentantly
so i have to renew this empty, pointless zone in a year or whatever? what
would happen to the servers name if i cancelled the dns zone?

Anyway, enough of a rant, something to amuse you on your Tuesday no doubt.

I look forward to your elucidating response.

Iain

	o mail 4 Iain --> support

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, 1and1, BhNa wrote:

> Dear Sir
>
> Thank you very much for your mail dated Apr 01, 2003
>
> Thankyou for another very amusing reply. Anyway, the fact is that
> although you may think that the reply indicates that we "will not" the
> truth is that is we cannot. I am aware that what you require can be
> carried out in theory very easily BUT as policy we "do not" offer such a
> service to our customers.

You still mean will not.  You actively choose not to offer this service
and not to perform this request.

> We do know that the order form does not allow you to purchase a server
> package without purchasing a domain, this is because you have to
> register or transfer a domain to us as we do not allow ANY form of DNS
> management as you have now realised.

Yus.  I dont want DNS management at all.  Consider when I registered the
server, you typed in a PTR record.  I want a different PTR record typed
in.  Thats all.  No more work than you were going to do anyway. Its mearly
your order form that cant cope with this.

In fact we've spent more time discussing this than altering the PTR would
take.  But thats business eh, more talk less action.

> I am sorry that you are dissapointed, but I am just giving you the
> facts. There is no way we can service your request.

Ok, i guess there's little more to say.  I just happen to (mistakenly)
think that businesses should care about their customers and do their
reasonable best to help them, rather than just keep telling them that they
are amusing but not important.  Of course the reality in most businesses
is "how much money for how little effort", however not all businesses are
like this.

Unfortunately of the three box suppliers we have used so far, you manage
to have the worst support of the three, even if you are the largest.
(which confirms an old theory of mine, small businesses need to care about
their customer - even if they're too incompetent to understand DNS at
least they try, where as large business is just faceless money grabbing)

Anyway, i'm sure this will all "amuse" you again, needless to say I do not
look forward to the next time I am forced to contact you.

Iain

	o mail 5 Support  --> Iain

"So there, now leave us alone!"
:D

Iain

Thank you very much for your mail dated Apr 01, 2003

We are sorry, as like ive mentioned many times, its not that we do not
understand your request, we just do not
+change the PTR records for anybody, even though it is a very easy thing to
do. Nothing more can be done on the
+matter. Like I wrote yesterday, your only option is to go elsewhere.

Best of luck.

> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, 1and1, BhNa wrote:
>
> > Dear Sir
> >
> > Thank you very much for your mail dated Apr 01, 2003
> >
> > Thankyou for another very amusing reply. Anyway, the fact is that
> > although you may think that the reply indicates that we "will not" the
> > truth is that is we cannot. I am aware that what you require can be
> > carried out in theory very easily BUT as policy we "do not" offer such a
> > service to our customers.
>
> You still mean will not.  You actively choose not to offer this service
> and not to perform this request.
> > We do know that the order form does not allow you to purchase a server
> > package without purchasing a domain, this is because you have to
> > register or transfer a domain to us as we do not allow ANY form of DNS
> > management as you have now realised.
>
> Yus.  I dont want DNS management at all.  Consider when I registered the
> server, you typed in a PTR record.  I want a different PTR record typed
> in.  Thats all.  No more work than you were going to do anyway. Its mearly

> your order form that cant cope with this.
>
> In fact we've spent more time discussing this than altering the PTR would
> take.  But thats business eh, more talk less action.
>
> > I am sorry that you are dissapointed, but I am just giving you the
> > facts. There is no way we can service your request.
>
> Ok, i guess there's little more to say.  I just happen to (mistakenly)
> think that businesses should care about their customers and do their
> reasonable best to help them, rather than just keep telling them that they

> are amusing but not important.  Of course the reality in most businesses
> is "how much money for how little effort", however not all businesses are
> like this.
>
> Unfortunately of the three box suppliers we have used so far, you manage
> to have the worst support of the three, even if you are the largest.
> (which confirms an old theory of mine, small businesses need to care about

> their customer - even if they're too incompetent to understand DNS at
> least they try, where as large business is just faceless money grabbing)
>
> Anyway, i'm sure this will all "amuse" you again, needless to say I do not

> look forward to the next time I am forced to contact you.
>
> Iain

well there you go.....

[nard at Goldfinger nard]$ ping www.nardware.co.uk
PING www.nardware.co.uk (217.160.178.205) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from stupidfuckingorderform.co.uk (217.160.178.205): icmp_seq=1
ttl=53 time=31.0 ms

--- www.nardware.co.uk ping statistics ---

Take care all!

nard

This E-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses before delivery.
We recommend that all attachments are also checked by recipients before being viewed.
For more information contact postmaster at added-dimension.co.uk.