[sclug] RUG 6 May 03 notes

Tim Sutton suttont at onetel.net.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:39 UTC 2003

Hi Mike

That was a really interesting presentation you gave at the RUG meeting! I was
going to throw in the offer of doing a follow up on 'The Linux Desktop
Experience' which will probably turn out to be the Linux KDE Experience
because of my strong bias towards KDE :-) The idea being to give those in RUG
unfamiliar with what you can do on linux a better flavour of how it can
productively used for day to day work.

We could cover:

Basic DE:
---------------
Background to the project
Kicker
The kde file dialog (which is brilliant!)
Theming your desktop

Internet:
---------------
Konq (its the best browser :-)
Kmail as a mail client
Kopete (instant messaging)

Multimedia:
----------------
The GIMP!
Pixie
XMMS

Productivity:
----------------
OpenOffice

Development:
----------------
Quanta
Kdevelop

Q & A:
----------------

Any other SCLUG members who want to pitch in to cover some of the above topics
are more than welcome. :-) Or maybe offer the same talk from the GNOME
perspective (where things dont overlap)?

I can also bring along a couple of sets of Mandrake CD's so anyone interested
can take it home and try it out. I probably would only have time to write one
or two sets, so if any other SCLUG folks could offer to burn up a couple of
sets that would be useful. Maybe knoppix might also be usefule here?

Interested? Follow the black & yellow penguin neo .....

Tim

8<------------ original message snipped -----------------
--
Get my public keys from: