[sclug] Latex puzzlement

Matthew Browning mb at matthewb.org
Sat Oct 25 09:05:40 UTC 2003

On 2003.05.20 09:29 Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> Apologies if this is a repost - my original message did not seem to
> get
> through.
>
> I am a bit puzzled :-( Can any one explain why the following latex
> doument
> captions that table as 1.1 but refers to it as table 1.2 in the text?
> See the
> attached dvi to see what I mean.

Interesting.

There are two approaches to fixing this problem which seem to work:

1. Put the \ref after the \label in your source.  You may find that
this becomes easier to do when working with a real document rather than
an example.

2. <hack type="dodgy">On the second process, LaTeX writes its
references to a file called filename.aux.  I was able to get your
example to behave how you want by opening this file and changing the
relevant reference to look like this:

\newlabel{tblParamete}{{1.1}{1}}

</hack>  I wouldn't imagine that this method would scale particularly
well ;)

Matthew Browning.

First time I've posted here, BTW, so hi.  I am a programmer by day in
Reading. Specialities: Perl, C, Web, Debian, Sysadmin.