[sclug] Latex puzzlement

Tim Sutton t.sutton at reading.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:40 UTC 2003

Hi Matthew

Thaks for the tips :-) Option 1 is a problem because diagrams have to appear
after they are referenced in the source. BTW, the example I sent was one I
knocked together to illustrate a problem I am having in my thesis. It took me
quite a long time to work out what the problem is in the first place.

Option 2 may actually get me past my immediate problem of producing a
printable draft, although I agree it long term sustainability looks poor :-(

Many thanks

Tim Sutton

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 8:50 am, Matthew Browning wrote:
> On 2003.05.20 09:29 Tim Sutton wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Apologies if this is a repost - my original message did not seem to
> > get
> > through.
> >
> > I am a bit puzzled :-( Can any one explain why the following latex
> > doument
> > captions that table as 1.1 but refers to it as table 1.2 in the text?
> > See the
> > attached dvi to see what I mean.
>
> Interesting.
>
> There are two approaches to fixing this problem which seem to work:
>
> 1. Put the \ref after the \label in your source.  You may find that
> this becomes easier to do when working with a real document rather than
> an example.
>
> 2. <hack type="dodgy">On the second process, LaTeX writes its
> references to a file called filename.aux.  I was able to get your
> example to behave how you want by opening this file and changing the
> relevant reference to look like this:
>
> \newlabel{tblParamete}{{1.1}{1}}
>
> </hack>  I wouldn't imagine that this method would scale particularly
> well ;)
>

> Matthew Browning.
>

> First time I've posted here, BTW, so hi.  I am a programmer by day in
> Reading. Specialities: Perl, C, Web, Debian, Sysadmin.

Tim Sutton
BDWorld Middleware Programmer
BiodiversityWorld Project
Centre for Plant Diversity & Systematics
School of Plant Sciences
The University of Reading
Reading, RG66AS, UK

Web     :   www.bdworld.org
Phone  :   +44-(0)118-378-6052
Email    :   t.sutton [at] reading.ac.uk
(email preferred method of correspondence)