[sclug] Downgrading Debian?

Roland Turner raz.fpyht.bet.hx at raz.cx
Sat Oct 25 09:05:41 UTC 2003

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 08:33:12PM +0100, Will Dickson wrote:

> I have a debian installation that I upgraded from stable to testing in
> the usual way. However, I've since decided that this was the wrong thing
> under the circumstances - not that there's anything wrong with Testing
> per se, but the machine in question is a production server and ought to
> be running Stable, as a matter of policy more than anything else.
>
> Is there an easy way to reverse this upgrade?

Downgrading is often problematic, but something like the
following should get you started; N.B.

- make sure that you have a means of recovery (make/test
  an existing backup) before you try this :-)

- make sure you understand the consequences if you have more
  packages installed than will fit on one command line this way.

(
	for n in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list
		do
			echo `basename $n .list`/stable