[sclug] HELP X Mandrake 9.1

Tim Sutton suttont at onetel.net.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:42 UTC 2003

Scott

If I can summarise the problem quickly to make sure I have it right:

Your machine boots to runlevel 5 and presents you with kdm/gdm/mdkdm?
You have mouse and keyboard working at the logon stage?
When you log in as any user x backflips straightaway to the logon screen?
This happend after your machine rebooted unexpectedly?

All this correct?

If so, I doubt it is your video card. Sounds like your installation is a bit
broken.

1) did you do a fsck on your disk(s) after the crash?
2) are your path and other bash profile variables getting read from
/etc/profile, /etc/profile.d/*.sh and ~/.bashrc ? You could try manually
sourcing them before trying startx from runlevel 3
3) Is it a specific windowmanager that does this, or all of them (i.e. kde /
gnome / blackbox etc)?
4) As a bit of a kludge, you could reinstall x & kde and see if that helps
5) Is there any possibility your box has been cracked and your system has been
severely broken (if you are on a cable connection without a firewall answer
yes here!)
6) If you are near central reading, I could probably pop in to help you get it
sorted out

Cheers

Tim

On Monday 02 June 2003 8:03 pm, Scott Rixon wrote:
> Me again!!
>
> I tried just running KDE and this is what I got..
>
> startkde: Starting up...
> /usr/bin/startkde: line 204: ksplash: command not found
> /usr/bin/startkde: line 210: kdeinit: command not found
> startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.
> /usr/bin/startkde: line 214: xmessage: command not found
> Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> Error: Can't run ksmserver !
> startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.
> /usr/bin/startkde: line 231: xmessage: command not found
> startkde: Shutting down...
> Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
> startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
> startkde: Done.
>
> Problem? I think so..