[sclug] Recommended Laptop

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:42 UTC 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Michael  Scott wrote:

[I've just forwarded a message I wrote for the BBLUG list]

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this group and need some advice on the best laptop with the
> following basic specs:
>
> P4 2.0GHz , 512MB RAM, 30-40Gb HDD

Toshiba, IBM or Compaq are generally regarded as the best from the service
and future spares-availability points-of-view. IBM are probably the most
Linux-friendly, though I've got on well with two consecutive Toshiba models.
You need to choose carefully though, as laptops can be very curiously
designed. <http://www.linux-laptop.org/> is essential reading.

When I was shopping around, I browsed the local stores to see what was
available, then read up the installation notes on linux-on-laptops.com for
my shortlist and picked the one that looked like the easiest ride.

> Michael

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?