[sclug] Spam Assassin now what

Patrick Kirk patrick at kirks.net
Sat Oct 25 09:05:43 UTC 2003

As an addition, I found that the default spamassassin ruleset is set up
to accomodate people who receive a lot of html only email from hotmail
users and people who genuinely like to receive a lot of shopping/'click
here' type email from retailers, newsletters, etc.  If most of your
email is text based and not from marketing departments, its worth
looking at adding these to your /etc/spamassassin/local.cf

# Detailed explanation at http://spamassassin.taint.org/tests.html

# 1. Google has only spam info on CacheFlowServer - Jan 27 2003
score RECEIVED_IDENT_CACHEFLOW 10
# 2. Who saves a web page to send an email? - Jan 27 2003
score HTML_COMMENT_SAVED_URL 2
# 3.Who puts tables into their emails? - Jan 27 2003
score HTML_TAG_EXISTS_TBODY 2
# 5. People using a unique id in links to track me - Feb 15 2003
score HTML_WEB_BUGS 4
# 6. HTML oddness - May 30 2003
score HTTP_EXCESSIVE_ESCAPES 5
score HTTP_CTRL_CHARS_HOST 5
score HTTP_ESCAPED_HOST 5
score OBFUSCATING_COMMENT 5
score BASE64_ENC_TEXT 5
# 7. Why would someone legitimately forge these headers? - Jan 27 2003
score FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK 10
score  FORGED_RCVD_TRAIL 10
score  FORGED_AOL_RCVD 10
score  FORGED_HOTMAIL_RCVD 10
score  SEMIFORGED_HOTMAIL_RCVD 10
score FORGED_EUDORAMAIL_RCVD 10
score  FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD 10
score  FORGED_MX_HOTMAIL 10
score MISSING_MIMEOLE 5
# 8. Russian, Chinese and Korean spam. - Jan 27 2003
ok_locales              en
score CHARSET_FARAWAY 4
score CHARSET_FARAWAY_HEADERS 4
score HTML_CHARSET_FARAWAY 4
score MIME_CHARSET_FARAWAY 4
score UNDESIRED_LANGUAGE_BODY 4
score BODY_8BITS 4
# 9. Block all email from rbl-ed IP numbers - Jan 27 2003
score RCVD_IN_NJABL 4
score RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM 4
score RCVD_IN_RFCI 4
score RCVD_IN_DSBL 4
score  RCVD_IN_RELAYS_ORDB_ORG 4
score  RCVD_IN_SBL 4
score  RCVD_IN_ORBS 4
score  RCVD_IN_OPM 4
score  RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 4
score  RCVD_IN_RBL 4
score  RCVD_IN_RSS 4
score RAZOR2_CHECK 4
score RAZOR_CHECK 4
# 10. Mailing list headers Bayes filtering so exclude them - April 12 2003
bayes_ignore_header ReSent-Date
bayes_ignore_header ReSent-From
bayes_ignore_header ReSent-Message-ID
bayes_ignore_header ReSent-Subject
bayes_ignore_header ReSent-To
bayes_ignore_header Resent-Date
bayes_ignore_header Resent-From
bayes_ignore_header Resent-Message-ID
bayes_ignore_header Resent-Subject
bayes_ignore_header Resent-To
bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Checker-Version
bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Status