[sclug] RAID 1 adventure

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:45 UTC 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Scott Rixon wrote:

> I have had a mirror running for ages.... 2 identical 60GB disks..
>
> My question is how to I check the status of them??? I can't get at the
> console of the box.. How will it tell me a disk has failed?

Either look in /var/log/messages for the usual IDE errors, or check
/proc/mdstat. The various S.M.A.R.T. interrogation tools (e.g. smartctl as
part of RH's kernel-utils package, or ucsc-smartsuite) are also useful to
querying the current attributes (reallocated sectors, retries, error rate)

> Scott

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?