[sclug] RAID 1 adventure

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sat Oct 25 09:05:45 UTC 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Neil Haughton wrote:

> Has anyone tried setting up Software Raid 1 on their Linux box?

Yep and it works. I compile the various patches I want in to a stock
kernel with RAID2 support and creat /etc/raidtab and do an init.

With other levels I also use a hot spare drive but generally with RAID 1 I
find that it is less of a problem - BUT do keep an eye on /proc/mdstat.

There are some instructions for turning your existing setup in to a RAID1
array without having to recreate your filesystems...check the HOWTO docs.

Was there something odd about the original mail? My version of pien here
had a lot of junk at the end which required cutting in reply.

Jon.