[sclug] RAID 1 adventure

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:45 UTC 2003

Okay, so far so good. Following all the excellent advice I've had here,
I have moved my 'old' 2Gb second drive contents (/home and my Win98 D:
drive) to new partitions on /dev/hda, and changed /etc/fstab to suit.
(Did I mention this is a dual boot Win98/Mandrake setup? Sorry if I
forgot). I have also replaced my old second drive with a new drive to
match the primary drive size and speed, and partitioned and formatted it
accordingly.

Linux works fine with the new partitions, but before I start to build
the RAID system I need to get Windows working again - and I'm stuck.

I have my Windows drive C: on /dev/hda1, but it expects to find drive D:
what was my /dev/hdc1 which is of course no longer there. (C: is OS and
apps, D: contains all the data files). How do I tell Win98 to look on
partition /dev/hda10 for its drive D:?

I'm stuck with Win98 fer the missus, for the time being anyway :-) and I
want to avoid reinstalling it (for the zillionth time) if I can do so.

Here's my /etc/fstab for information

/dev/hda8 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda5 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
#/dev/hdc5 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda9 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda10 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/zip supermount
dev=/dev/sda4,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 /var ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0

In case anyone is wondering, the main point of introducing RAID 1 to my
machine is to protect data in the event of a Windows reinstall (which
I'm probably stuck with, from time to time). It's the next step up from
having all data on a separate drive (as I have had until now). I assume
Win98 won't support software RAID, but the idea is that after Windows is
used, Linux will resync the mirror drive when it nexts starts up, as
long as the Windows partitions are mounted. I trust I have this right?