[sclug] Re: sclug digest, Vol 1 #162 - 14 msgs

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:45 UTC 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Neil Haughton wrote:

> >>....he idea is that after Windows is
> >>used, Linux will resync the mirror drive when it nexts starts up, as
> >>long as the Windows partitions are mounted. I trust I have this right?
> >>

> >I haven't tried that usage, but I _suspect_ it won't work as the partition
> >type will be 0xfd rather than one of the FAT types. OTOH, I'm not sure
> >Windows will care as long as it finds something that looks like a FAT
> >filesystem inside... :-]
> >
> >Also, I'm not sure of any way to specify to the RAID layer which drive is to
> >be the "canonical" copy. You might find that on the first boot it copies
> >the contents of your empty partition over the working one!
> >

> I thought that the raidtab file defined this,
>
>     device      /dev/hda1
>     raid-disk   0
>     device      /dev/hdc1
>     raid-disk   1
>
> Doesn't this mean that raid-disk 0 is the canonical disk?

I don't think so. However, you suggesting that, prompted me to read
raidtab(5) which says:

"failed-disk index

The most recently defined device is inserted at position index in the raid
array as a failed device. This allows you to create raid 1/4/5 devices in
degraded mode - useful for installation.  Don't use the smallest device in
an array for this, put this after the raid-disk definitions!"

That could be a useful thing to know!

> Regards,
> Neil Haughton.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?