[sclug] Mailfile message boundaries

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:45 UTC 2003

Hiya Sclug,

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 10:47:10AM +0100, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> Simon Huggins wrote:
> >SpamCop also reports about websites which it calls "spamvertised"
> >however if you report legitimate mailing list traffic to SpamCop then
> >any URLs for unsubscribing etc will again generate complaints.
> Spamassassin handles mailing lists very well.

Fair enough.  I gave up on spamassassin a while back for something
faster - bogofilter.

> Really, if someone has fallen foul of Spamassassin, then the problem
> is at their end.  I now get over 200 peices of spam every day - the
> dubious ones I have to read.  But there is no way I'm wading though
> the confirmed spammers.  In between reading spams, I have a life to
> lead.

Yes, of course.  If you're certain it won't blacklist (and tell SpamCop
about) legitimate mail then there is no problem.

> >Hence, automated submission may well end up pissing lots of people
> >off - after all spamcop seems to send reports to as many people as it
> >can find to piss off.  Its open relay reporting is fine I guess but
> >as an ISP we've had more experiences of false-positives being
> >reported via SpamCop
> Manual reporting is too cumbersome.  Really, I've come to the
> conclusion that this has reached a level of pain that I need to take
> more drastic action than just reporting 5 or 6 a day.

It sounds like you're checking over the possibles manually anyway so I
don't really see a problem with what you're doing.

It was just a general "automated reporting to SpamCop can be bad" mail
given we're sometimes on the receiving end of SpamCop complaints from
some *really* dumb people.

Simon.

--
        Black Cat Networks        -(  '* blitz a un super bout de lisp   )-
UK domain, email and web hosting  -(     qui fake les headers Mutt'      )-