[sclug] Mailfile message boundaries

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:45 UTC 2003

Patrick Kirk wrote:
> Any thoughts on the boundary question - the error rate is 15% which just
> makes it too buggy for even a 0.1 release on Sourceforge.

Two trivial observations which are almost certainly both obvious and
unhelpful, but I'll make them anyway just in case:

1. The system itself must have some means of parsing this file. At a
guess, it's one of:

a) separate indexing file;

b) non-printing escape character, e.g \0;

c) SMTP-style dot delimiters (a '.' on a line all to itself signifies
end-of-message; if the message itself contains a line which starts with
a '.', it's doubled to "..".)

Based on very little evidence I'd look at c) first.

2. If you're really desperate, you could always RTFS...

Will.