Web forums (was Re: [sclug] Members Home pages.)

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at hp.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:47 UTC 2003

David Ginger wrote:

>>>I don't think the word "replace" was ever mentioned or intended to be
>>>brought up.
>>>There can be no replacement for the usefulness of this mail list.
>>>

>>Oh no, I agree but David Ginger said:
>>
>>	That would enable one to continue this debate as a thread and
>>	let it evolve..
>>
>>which is why I thought of replacement.
>>

>>Simon.
>>

>Sorry
>
>I had no intention of meaning replacement of the excellent mailing list. I
>just thought it would be quick and easy to install && experiment with.

I have the impression that  Leon was suggesting we use a tool like
phpnuke to allow everyone to add content to the website. For that
purpose I think it has merit over getting Simon or myself to
create/update the web pages.

As for breaking news like a slashdot for Reading and the surounding area
I doubt it has any value.

I think LUG websites are not the place for "up to the minute
information"  The hants LUG for
example.  looks like the last update on the home page was 14th of May
cancelling the meeting
on the 17th of May.  The other 'news' item was to anounce that meeting
dated 6th of April.

Please note I'm not slagging of hants LUG. mearly showing it's not that
easy to keep up to date
unless you have someone who will do it on a regular basis.

Tom.