[sclug] PDA's

Hans Huberland hhuberla at 7ball.net
Sat Oct 25 09:05:47 UTC 2003

Scott,

I use a Sharp Zaurus. It has many really innovative features: cool
slip-down keyboard, SD card and CF slots (the CF can take camera, wifi,
bluetooth, etc).  It runs a Sharp proprietary embedix but it's really
easy to flash it to Opie (openzaurus.org), a fully open-source ROM with
a lot of application support such as Konqueror, VNC client & server,
sshd, rsync, kismet, the list goes on into the hundreds.
Connectivity-wise it you can rsync it from the CLI if that tickles you,
or sync with Qtopia desktop on both linux or Windows, you'll also be
able to find apps on freshmeat to sync to evolution and sylpheed.

On the down side, the SL-5500 is end of life and the SL-5600 has not yet
been released in the UK.  I saw one in the US and it's definitely worth
waiting for.  Then again, some suppliers may still stock the SL-5500 and
the price should be real good right now.

Enjoy.
Hans