[sclug] PDA's

Roland Turner raz.fpyht.bet.hx at raz.cx
Sat Oct 25 09:05:48 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:23:43PM +0100, Derek M Jones wrote:

> Why not get everything in one, ie a P800?
> I bought one a few weeks ago, great fun.
> You can get memory cards up to a gig, program them
> in C++ (gcc is available) and Java.
> Bluetooth, infrared, and usb links supported (not forgeting WAP).

I had a play with one on the weekend and was pretty impressed;
it's close to my dream machine, and even has an important
feature that I'd not expected to find; "flight mode" for use on
in flight - the phone and bluetooth functions run turned off in
this mode.

> What more do you need?

Two things:

- 802.11* (it doesn't have it, and there is no obvious way to add
  it)

- one-touch dictaphone; the voice memo recorder is about right,
  but not convenient for use on the run, which is exactly when one
  would require it.

Other than that, it's a really beautiful machine; I'm sorely
tempted.

- Raz