[sclug] PDA's

Mike Mallett mike.mallett at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:48 UTC 2003

Of
> Hans Huberland
> Sent: 14 July 2003 21:12
> To: Mike Mallett
> Cc: sclug at sclug.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [sclug] PDA's
>
> Mike Mallett wrote:
>
> >I am told that the SL-5600 is not being introduced into the UK but there
is
> >likely to a different model (C700 ?) later this year ...
> >lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/sclug
> >

> My company uses the SL-5500 as prizes so we aproached Sharp about the
> availability - their product manager for the Zaurus range said that we
> were looking at at least 3 months for whatever the new model will be and
> that they had not yet decided on the SL-5600, the C700 or something
> else.  They're being decidely quiet on this front :(

I look after the PC and PDA side of the Sharp Users Club though I don't have
an SL-5500. Sometimes I get info from Sharp and dealers though this is never
guaranteed.

The SL-5500 has had many enthusiastic reviews especially from the Linux mags
but
I have not been able to tell if it has been a commercial success in the face
of competition from the Pocket PC and Palm,

Previous Zaurus models were nice little PDAs but these relied on a
proprietary Sharp OS which had rather restrictive NDAs and licensing fees so
they never received the support they deserved. The move to Linux was an
attempt to overcome this but time will tell....