[sclug] Mail setup

Leon Ward leon.ward at added-dimension.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:48 UTC 2003

Morning everyone.
	This is a general question about mail config' s.
I am not overjoyed with the way I currently handle the mail for my non-work
domains, it's not secure and Cyrus seams overkill.
I currently use the following setup

Postfix --> Cyrus imapd (all on a remote Debian box)

I then read my mail via a imap capable MUA, i.e pine, evolution and Pegasus

In the good old days I used NTmail (SMTP and POP3 win32 daemon) on a box
plugged into a friends network with a static IP.
Fetchmail and pine was then used to read it, whenever I wanted to read the
mail remotely I would ssh into my home box and pine from there.

Maybe I am asking the earth here, and this is where finding out how you
people handle your mail may help.

o Accessing multiple pop3 box's
	I have many POP mail box's scattered around the world,
	fetchmail was really handy and I would like to have
	that in the equation.
o A good nights sleep
	My home box is really loud. I live in a studio apartment,
	there are no rooms I can lock it away in (excluding the
	bathroom for obvious reasons) and when it is left on
	all night the noise keeps my GF awake.
o Hangover safe
	Generally I am not to coherent in the mornings and
	would frequently forget to turn my home workstation
	on, locking me out of reading my mail all day.
	Being able to still read new mail from another location
	(why I currently use Cyrus) w/o ssh'ing into my home
	box would be a serious advantage.
o Anti-spam
	Spam sucks, need I say more. I have never used SA but
	would like to.

Before anyone mentions anything about mutt, yea i did use it but could not
find a way to link it into a spell checker, tips there would also be
helpful.

-Nard

This E-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses before delivery.
We recommend that all attachments are also checked by recipients before being viewed.
For more information contact postmaster at added-dimension.co.uk.