[sclug] Mail setup

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:49 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:00:15AM +0100, Leon Ward wrote:
> I am not overjoyed with the way I currently handle the mail for my non-work
> domains, it's not secure and Cyrus seams overkill.

What I think you're asking is:
	How can I get my mail from all corners of the globe onto one
	remote machine and from there access it securely?

> I currently use the following setup
> Postfix --> Cyrus imapd (all on a remote Debian box)

> I then read my mail via a imap capable MUA, i.e pine, evolution and
> Pegasus

Right.

> o Accessing multiple pop3 box's
> 	I have many POP mail box's scattered around the world,
> 	fetchmail was really handy and I would like to have
> 	that in the equation.

Well that's easy.  On this remote box of yours (on which you presumably
have a shell) just run fetchmail.

Or better still chuck fetchmail away and get a real POP client.  One
that won't gratuitously bounce mail if you get the setup a bit wrong.
Or maybe, just maybe, it could realie that if it bounced the first mail
something was wrong and not then proceed to bounce the next few hundred
messages.  Bitter?  Me?

I'm using getmail at the moment.  Seems fluffy enough to me.

> o A good nights sleep
> 	My home box is really loud. I live in a studio apartment,
> 	there are no rooms I can lock it away in (excluding the
> 	bathroom for obvious reasons) and when it is left on
> 	all night the noise keeps my GF awake.

Ok, but that's fine if it's all remote.

> o Hangover safe
> 	Generally I am not to coherent in the mornings and
> 	would frequently forget to turn my home workstation
> 	on, locking me out of reading my mail all day.
> 	Being able to still read new mail from another location
> 	(why I currently use Cyrus) w/o ssh'ing into my home
> 	box would be a serious advantage.

Ditto.

> o Anti-spam
> 	Spam sucks, need I say more. I have never used SA but
> 	would like to.

So run it through procmail and spamassassin or bogofilter or some such
on this remote box.

> Before anyone mentions anything about mutt, yea i did use it but could
> not find a way to link it into a spell checker, tips there would also
> be helpful.

Odd.  I kept getting into ispell by mistake.

Just hit i from the message sending page.

Simon

--
... "Do they teach lawyers to apologise, because you suck at it?" -- Erin
    Brockovich.