[sclug] usb woes

lug at assursys.co.uk lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:49 UTC 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Tony Sumner wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 05:04:40PM +0100, lug at assursys.co.uk wrote:
>
> > My first step in trying to debug this would be to upgrade to the latest
> > RH8.0 errata kernel and work from there.
>
> Mm. What is an errata kernel? The driver is said to have been tested
> against kernel 2.4.19 so for now I'd like to keep them in line.

Red Hat issue updates from time to time to fix bugs and security problems.
See:

ftp://mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/

Bear in mind that what RH call a '2.4.19' kernel usually isn't, because they
backport a lot of fixes (and NPTL in RH9 - *grumble, mumble*) from later
versions. It's generally the safest way to go.

I'm pretty sure also, that RH includes support for wifi cards in their
standard kernel, so you shouldn't need to muck around with seperate drivers
(except, perhaps, if you're planning on going wardriving...)

> > Checking the following hits on google might also be useful
> > <http://www.google.com/search?q=hfa384x_usbin_rx:+Invalid+frame+type&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&filter=0>
>
> I did google 'invalid frame type' and found a very similar question on
> the linux-wlan list but no helpful answer. However this morning I
> tried google on 'hfa384x_dowrid' and got an interesting thread
> discussing the order in which things are done at boot. This begins to
> make sense because the linux-wlan-ng README has this
>
>    We don't currently create the soft-link from
>    the runlevel directory to the wlan startup script because the
>    distributions vary too much in this respect.  You'll need to create
>    the soft-link yourself.  Just make sure it is early in the process,
>    namely, before the the network interfaces are brought up.  The
>    actual setup of the SSID and such is in the file /etc/wlan.conf.
>
> and I didn't understand what this is saying. Do I have to bring up
> wlan after usb but before the network?

Sounds like it.

> OK, so I'll start looking at
> the scripts in rc.d
>
> Tony

Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?