[sclug] Sound config

pieter claassen pieter at countersnipe.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

Initially I went for the

lspci -v to see what the machine thinks it has in it and then
modprobe <driver>

which kinda worked (for some reason my PCM channel was only working in
binary on/off mode)

I then went to alsa which was a whole lot more trouble and eventually
managed to get everything working, but with effort. There were also
issues with sound server (esd) integration and the thing needed constant
attention.

However, after a discussion with the guy in the office next door (Raz),
I went back to the old drivers and they started working fine (might be a
kernel upgrade).

The problem I believe is that alsa is documented from a "steps to get it
working" and not much in the line of "what is it actually doing when it
loads all these modules".

Pieter