[sclug] Recovering gracefully from lost interrupt

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:54:59AM +0100, Will Dickson wrote:
>

>>>I'm only trying to work this out because you seem to be propagating FUD
>>>that Debian eats data and this isn't true IME.
>>
>>I am not propagating FUD, and I find that remark insulting.
>

> I'm sorry I didn't aim to insult you but rather to find out which part
> was causing the corruption.

Understood - it's just that I consider FUD to be such an egregious and
dishonourable tactic that - well, 'nuff said :-)

>If you can't test it to find out where the
> problem is then you're effectively sticking your finger in the air and
> saying "It's all Debian's fault" but without really knowing why or
> indeed if it is uniquely Debian's problem.

True enough. Other distros may be affected as well. I'm not trying to
discredit Debian (and I didn't mean to give that impression), just to
give people a heads-up. People don't always read back their backups,
even though they know they should (me most definitely included).

> I can understand your motivation but I'm not sure you're really doing
> anyone a service by saying this.  You would need to say "kernel version
> blah" or "the debian patched kernel version blah" or "Debian's userspace
> tools from the blah distribtion" are broken rather than implying that
> all of Debian is.

My warning doesn't help fix the problem, whatever it is / was (it might
have been fixed already and / or be unique to some cockup I made);
I don't have the various resources required to track this one down. Its
purpose was rather to incite people to double-check their backups.

Will.