[sclug] Data in unknown file format

Douglas Holden listsetc at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

Can any one suggest an obvious/easy way of accessing data on a CD-ROM I
bought? (from Which magazine).
I occasionally (+/- once per year) need to find an article from a back
issue of the Drugs and Therapeutics Bulletin (which I get at work), and
when I found I had lost one that I thought I had kept from the paper
version, I thought I might as well pay up for the CD-ROM. This comes
with a proprietary browser, which runs in one proprietary OS. I do run
that OS, so was able to get that article, but have had to re-install it
(!) so would need to re-install the browser. I just wonder if there is
an easier way of accessing the data (which is in one MB file DATA.Z)?
Any thoughts on this problem?
(I can't complain as the CDROM is sold as a subscription. I really
wanted something I could use after Longhorn is released.. if that is a
good OS I might buy it as it is some years since I bought '98)
Douglas Holden