[sclug] Freenetname - ADSL - Smoothwall

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:34:50PM +0100, Simon Heywood wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:35:09AM +0100, Will Dickson wrote:
> > Interesting - I thought (not having done the research) that
> > they were all USB?
> There's quite a large selection of ADSL devices on the market.
> http://adslguide.org.uk/ has some product reviews which I found most
> helpful when I was planning my ADSL installation.

Yeah me too.  I ended up with an AMX CA61E which is reviewed there.

It's cheap and cheerful but actually quite feature complete.  The one I
have only has one ethernet port but you can get ones with built in
switches too.

I didn't initially trust it at all and so it sits on a crossover cable
to a linux box that runs iptables and bits and bobs but if I were to
install one for my parents (who have various Windows things) then I'd
just trust it now as I've gotten used to it.

It runs VxWorks so it's vaguely BSD ish in its treatment of things.

Can you tell that I really love my ADSL?

Simon.

--
* "A computer's got to do what a computer's got to do." -Holly.     *
           Brought to you by the letter C and the number 49